Time Marching On
- Buy My Book! (Or Download It for Free if You’re Quick)
- The Good Knife
- Shoreditch and the City — Killing the Hipster Goose?
- Poetry Reading — 21st February 2015
- Before I Die
- December is for Displacement Activity
- Officially Qualified!
- My Guest Post on the Romantic Novelists’ Association Blog!
- How I Fell In Love with the Romantic Novelists’ Association New Writers’ Scheme
- This Woman’s Work
- Blogging: Blog Tour Monday. Hop Hop Hop. | emmaiswritinganovel on The Liars’ League Experience
- Michael Clarke on Virtual Graduation Ceremony — I’m Now Officially an MA!
- Jon on Virtual Graduation Ceremony — I’m Now Officially an MA!
- Anne on Blog Tour Monday
- Mike Clarke on I Mastered It!
- Bren Gosling on I Mastered It!
- Mike on Another Year Over…
- Kathy Greethurst on Another Year Over…
- Bren Gosling on The End
- Mike on The End
Hot Tagsagents art artists backstory BBC Certificate in Novel Writing course character Chilterns Creative Writing Classes deadlines dialogue Emma feedback Germany James Kim language London MA in Creative Writing Manchester Metropolitan University Metroland Poets motivation Olympics Penny Rudge planning Plot point of view pop music psychology Publishing pubs readings Research setting sex Shoreditch Structure subconscious Tate Gallery The City theme The Shard tutorials Village Underground workshops
- Guest Author – Paul McVeigh on Writing a Difficult Setting April 16, 2015
- Writers on Location – Christopher Bollen on Long Island April 9, 2015
- Writers on Location – Jill Alexander Essbaum on Zürich April 3, 2015
- "Everything About My Writing Is Awful And No, I'm Not OK." April 13, 2015
- No time to write your novel? Think about coral reefs... April 1, 2015
- Writing Emotion: is less more, and how do you make it real? March 24, 2015
- Books about Seattle: readers’ picks April 16, 2015 Marta Bausells
- Game of Thrones and the art of rhetorical gift-giving April 16, 2015 Lindesay Irvine
- A timeless voice against prejudice: your videos reading Anne Frank April 14, 2015 Marta Bausells
- Arrivals and Departures - out now! February 1, 2015
- Poetry competition success at York Literature Festival May 9, 2014
- Fairy tale December 1, 2013
Me on Facebook
Category Archives: Structure
I was wondering about the point in the last post where David Nicholls mentions the impact of having important event happen ‘off stage’ and their impact being made greater when viewed from the perspective of their subsequent impact on characters’ … Continue reading
‘One Day’ by David Nicholls won the Sainsbury’s Popular Fiction prize at the Galaxy National Book Awards last week. I’ve mentioned this book in passing a couple of times on this blog since I read it in the summer. I’ve … Continue reading
I was rather gutted (as footballers say) a week last Sunday by the transmission of the last ever episode of ‘Heartbeat‘. No really — this isn’t meant to be a piece of wry irony. I enjoyed the programme, and admired … Continue reading
Unlike the majority of my fellow students on the City course I’ve not approached the writing of either of my novels-in-progress in any kind of sequence — either chronologically or in anticipation of the eventual order in the book. I’m … Continue reading